Paint the sky

The Fridays just keep coming, and this one's a bit of a doozy. But the baby's napping, and the preschooler's in the bathroom with a good ten-minutes worth of toys. I'll leave him to man-cave for a least another five.

More information on the glory that is Five Minute Friday, along with a list of brave five-minute creations, can be found here.

This week's prompt: paint.

I awoke this morning to grey-painted skies. Gloom in the kitchen belying the dawn. I brewed a cup of Russian Caravan tea, and mused on the journey of its flavours: tea leaves grown in China, smoked over pine-wood campfires warming caravaners bound for the court of the czar, simulated and shipped to my local grocery store, brewed in my own kitchen. I flavour it with maple syrup from Quebec and cream from an Albertan dairy collective. Half a world of flavours, each adding its own layer of depth, light, sweetness, swirled into the canvas of my cup.

I read a novel recently that featured a painter. She described painting a scene from her own backyard, soothed by the focus of dividing what seems like solid colours into the myriad of micro-shades it takes to reproduce them. Layer upon layer, a little black, a little white, swirling to create the canvas of a plain blue sky.

Time's up.

Comments

  1. I love this... 5 minutes is just not enough, but I love the sweetness of this peek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the imagery you painted with your words! And that tea sounds deliciously historic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The tea is delicious. I highly recommend it. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. You did a superb piece of writing in only five minutes. Mine are more, shall we say, "helter skelter". I must try that tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It helps that I give myself a few minutes to think about how to work in ideas that are already jumbling around in my head - and, seeing as I have littles under-foot, those "few minutes" often turn into a couple hours ;) The tea was an Organics brand I found at Planet Organic (no idea if they have stores state-side, sorry!), but I've also found it elsewhere under the name "Czar Nicholas Tea". Hope you can find it :)

      Delete
  4. Beautiful writing. I felt like I was right there not just enjoying the cup of tea, but watching the harvest and preparations and of course viewing that painted sky. Great FMF post. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking time to comment. Always appreciated :)

      Delete
  5. I love your description of the tea, I feel I can taste it and smell it! I also liked the way you describe it as your canvas and also relate to how the featured writer in the novel describe using layers! You have a gift of painting with words, and I agree with others who has commented–five minutes is not enough. I want more...
    God bless your weekend.
    -Ava Sophie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Maybe I'll stretch it into a longer post someday. Not this week though. God bless!

      Delete
  6. How lovely to have that moment to savor, really savor your tea. I've often wished I knew how to paint. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed! Often I make tea for mornings when I don't have time to brew coffee, and then just gulp it down. It's nice to take a moment when you can. I also wish I knew how to paint - the picture in my head never makes its way onto the page. Maybe someday I'll get some real artists supplies and take a class. In the meantime, I can always read about accomplished painters ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Those little notifications make my day :)

Popular Posts